I made a fantastic pasta salad last night, and if I can keep typing in this offensive heat, I'll post the recipe.
I'm not normally a pasta salad fan. They're either too bland, too oily, too weird or too crunchy (I don't like raw broccoli or any kind of bell peppers, which show up in most of them.) They used to be really popular - I recall one memorable patio party with the girls where everybody brought pasta salad. Luckily I was serving margaritas, so it really didn't matter. I don't know if they still are the go-to potluck dish, as I don't go out anymore. And if I do, it's not to a potluck.So anyway, the one I made last night was stunning, especially as I concocted it with Ingredients On Hand. Here's my ingredient list. I don't have any quantities as it depends on your particular I.O.H.
- Curly pasta - I like gemelli, but whatever you have O.H.
- Strips of gravlax or smoked salmon (I just happened to have some leftover gravlax in the fridge. Odd, really.)
- Cucumbers, diced
- The itty-bitty fresh mozzarella balls you can buy at Costco, or other fresh mozz, diced.
- Scallions, sliced, with some of the green part
- Parsley (pretty much the only thing I grew in the garden this year. You could use dill.)
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Whisk the last three ingredients into a vinaigrette, then toss it all up, gently.
I ran out of capers (I know! A kitchen disaster!) which would have added a bit more piquancy, but maybe they would have been overkill.